A utility account may be closed in one of several ways:
- A utility account is automatically closed whenever a new owner or renter opens a utility account.
- If the accountholder is a property owner and the property is sold, the customer can provide a copy of the executed settlement statement or warranty deed.
- A property owner may provide the City with written notice that a tenant has vacated the property and either disconnect service or continue service by opening a new account and placing a service deposit.
- A tenant may provide the City with a written request to discontinue service and close the account. Please note that payment may be required to clear any account balance through the service termination date before an account can be closed.
- A service fee of $15.00 per water meter for water accounts and $10.00 per meter for natural gas accounts are assessed at the time of account closing.
A Request To Close Utility Account form [PDF] may be completed and faxed to (954) 572-2479 to facilitate this process.