|The Sunrise Source - the City's official email newsletter - provides timely information about programs, services, facilities and events. Not already receiving the Source in your in-box? Enter your email address to subscribe.
This is also a great opportunity to register for the CodeRED emergency notification system, which Sunrise officials use to send boil-water orders, storm advisories and other urgent information. Sign up on CodeRED's Community Notification Enrollment page.
Celebrate the Legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Join us this Sunday, January 19th, for a full day of art and culture honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at the Sunrise Civic Center Theatre and Art Gallery!
Features will include:
- Youth Poetry Workshop from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.—This intensive poetry-writing workshop is open to students age 13 to 18. Each poet will receive breakfast, lunch, a book, and writing supplies– and will view the City’s 2:00 p.m. screening of “Race.” There is no cost to participate, but space is limited and pre-registration is required. Call (954) 747-4646 to sign up.
- Family Film: "Race" at 2:00 p.m.—This inspiring film is based on the incredible true story of Jesse Owens, the legendary athletic superstar, whose quest to become the greatest track and field athlete in history thrust him onto the world stage of the 1938 Olympics. “Race” was produced by Focus Features, is rated PG-13, and stars Stephan James and Jason Sudeikis. Seating is limited. Up to four free general admission tickets are available per family. Call (954) 747-4646 for information.
- "The Journey Continues...": Art Gallery Reception at 6:00 p.m.—In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and Black History Month, the City of Sunrise recognizes the stories of hope and resilience, and the continued journey, of the African diaspora. We are surrounded by public figures and neighbors who exemplify this legacy. Celebrate with us as we pay tribute with a must-see exhibition featuring work by local artists. Admission is free and light refreshments will be served.
- Jazz Concert & Poetry Night at 7:00 p.m.—Enjoy live music – including performances by singer JaShae Jones and the award-winning Dillard Center for the Arts Jazz Ensemble – enriched by the words of youth poets. Seating is limited: Up to four free general admission tickets are available per family. Call (954) 747-4646 for details.
Please note that the City's administrative offices will be closed on Monday, January 20th, in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Experience the Arts in Sunrise
Jersey Boys Tribute Concert
Don’t miss these terrific events at the Sunrise Civic Center Theatre:
Friday, January 17th, at 7:00 p.m.
Reserved seating: $18 adult, $10 child
Throughout the ‘60s, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons topped the charts with songs like Sherry
, Big Girls Don’t Cry
, Rag Doll
, and Walk Like a Man
. This amazing tribute, presented by South Florida Legends, enables you to experience the music that inspired the hit Broadway show, Jersey Boys
Elvis! 85th Birthday Bash Concert
Saturday, January 18th, at 2:00 p.m.
Reserved seating: $18 adult, $10 child
Elvis Presley would have celebrated his 85th birthday in January 2020. We’re fortunate to have Maurice Sheps, among the world’s top-20 Elvis impersonators, keeping the King’s legacy alive! This “Birthday Bash” concert opens with a recreation of Elvis’ 1968 comeback special, and finishes with a tribute to his high-energy Vegas show! Enjoy Burning Love
, Johnny Be Good
, If I Can Dream
, Suspicious Minds
, and many other hits! Presented by Curtain Call Playhouse.
“Lyrical Lounge” Teen Open Mic Night
Friday, January 24th, at 7:00 p.m.
Sunrise Civic Center Art Gallery
The City’s bimonthly open mic nights provide a creative outlet for poets, musicians, and other talented teens. Take the stage – or be part of our all-ages audience. Presented in collaboration with the Jason Taylor Foundation and the Omari Hardwick bluapple Poetry Network.
Sunrise Pops in Concert with Opera Extravaganza
Sunday, January 26th, at 2:00 p.m.
Reserved seating: $29
Experience live music from a 65-piece orchestra! This Sunday matinee show from the Sunrise Pops orchestra features an Opera Extravaganza of emerging stars: future artists presented in a variety of the most beloved and memorable operatic arias, duets, and ensembles. These young performers from New York, Chicago, and Miami, join together today to bring their extraordinary talents and versatility to Sunrise in what will prove to be an afternoon of memorable tunes that you will go away humming.
The Sunrise Civic Center Theatre & Art Gallery is located at 10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard. The Box Office is open Tuesday and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Wednesday and Thursday from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; and one hour before shows. Call (954) 747-4646 for information, or purchase tickets online
Household Hazardous Waste, Document Shredding, and Electronics Disposal Event
The City of Sunrise and the City of Plantation have partnered to provide residents with opportunities to shred old documents or dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW) and electronics.
The next HHW drop-off event is set for next Saturday, January 25th
, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and residents should take note that the location has changed to the Sunrise Public Works Building
(10500 NW 55 Street, Sunrise, FL 33351).
The event is free for residents of Sunrise and Plantation with proof of residency
. The following items will be accepted:
Automobile Batteries and Fluids
Boat Batteries and Fluids
Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFLs)
Fluorescent Light Bulbs and Tubes
Keyboards and Mice
Nail Polish Remover
Telephones and Cell Phones
Tires (limit four)
Wood Stains and Stripper
On-site document shredding is also accepted, with a limit of two file boxes of personal documents per household. The suggested box size is a standard 10" x 12" x 15" banker's box so the contents do not exceed a reasonable weight to be picked up. DO NOT bring explosives, biohazardous waste or business-generated waste.
Residents may also bring HHW items to the Wheelabrator facility in Davie on select Saturdays. For details, visit www.sunrisefl.gov/hhw or call (954) 577-1135.
Bark If You Love Woofstock!
Woofstock – the City’s annual celebration of dogs and dog lovers – is set for Saturday, February 1st, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Sawgrass Sanctuary (237 North New River Circle). Join us for entertainment, demonstrations, contests, rescue groups, and food and specialty retail vendors. Admission is free, and the first 1,000 canines through the gates will receive a “doggie bag” of treats. Bring your furry BFF or adopt one on-site!
Event highlights include:
Retractable leashes are not permitted, and all dogs must have a current rabies tag
- Air K9z Frisbee Show - 11:30 a.m.
- Contest: Grooviest Threads - 12:00 p.m.
- Wiener Dog Races - 12:30 p.m.
- Air K9z Frisbee Show - 1:00 p.m.
- Sunrise Police Department K9 Demonstration - 1:30 p.m.
. For safety reasons, dogs too young or too old to receive the rabies vaccine cannot enter the event. Call (954) 747-4600 or visit sunrisefl.gov/woof
for more information.
Tunes ‘N Trucks Concert Returns Next Month
Save the date to join us on Friday, February 7th, for the City’s next Tunes ‘N Trucks concert, featuring live music and food trucks. The trucks will start serving at 6:00 p.m., and the music will begin at 7:00 p.m. with Mr. Nice Guy’s classic rock music performance. Bring your lawn chair or blanket to the Sunrise Civic Center Amphitheater (10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard, Sunrise 33351). Admission is free!
In addition to this event, future dates this season will include:
- Friday, March 6th- Caribbean Chillers (Jimmy Buffett tribute)
- Friday, April 17th- Pocket Change (Motown)
- Friday, May 15th- Havoc 305 (Top 40 and rock)
For additional information, or to request a food vendor application, call (954) 747-4600. Tunes ‘N Trucks is sponsored by Memorial Healthcare System.
Taste of Sunrise Returns on February 20th
Calling all foodies: Tickle your taste buds at the third annual Taste of Sunrise! Join us for an evening at the Sunrise Civic Center as we celebrate the flavors of our community and enjoy samples from local restaurants.
From 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., attendees will be delighted by samples from more than two dozen local restaurants representing several international cuisines and local specialties. Tickets are $20 in advance, or $30 at the door - if they remain available until event day. Prior Taste of Sunrise events have sold out, so don’t hesitate! Call (954) 747-4646 or visit the Sunrise Civic Center Box Office to reserve your spot.
Restaurants that are already confirmed to be participating include:
- About Time Cafe
- ARC Culinary
- Argentinian Empanadas on the Grill
- Bahama Breeze
- Barnes and Barnes Enterprises
- Bolay Pembroke Pines
- The Bridges of Springtree Golf Course
- Carvel Ice Cream Shop
- Caspian Persian Grill
- Chef Rose Jamaican Cuisine
- Clean Juice
- Dairy Queen Grill and Chill
- Don Pan
- Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise/Sawgrass
- Goodfellas Pizza
- Johnny Rockets
- IKEA Sunrise
- La Molina Columbiana
- Lush Delicacies
- Nothing Bundt Cakes
- SAMS Club
- Seasons 52
- Shacolat Konfections
- Souvlaki Street
- Sunrise Subs and Grill
- Tasteful Thoughts
- Tin Fish
- Uncle Lui's Restaurant
- Wild Fork Foods
- Yard House
For full details, please visit sunrisefl.gov/taste. Restaurant owners who want to be a part of this annual tasting event to promote their business and show off their culinary skills should contact the Greater Sunrise Chamber of Commerce at (954) 835-2428.
Traffic Advisory in Sawgrass Corporate Parkway
On January 13th, the southbound lanes of Sawgrass Corporate Parkway between Sunrise Boulevard and Concord Terrace began a scheduled period of lane closures. The traffic impact is expected to last approximately 6 weeks for the installation of a new reclaimed water distribution system. Residents and businesses in the Sawgrass International Corporate Park and surrounding areas, please take note of the following details:
- Weekdays from 5:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., one southbound lane will remain open to facilitate traffic flow; however, the southbound road will be fully closed from 9:30 a.m. through the remainder of each day.
- Consider exiting the Sawgrass Expressway at Oakland Park Boulevard or I-595/I-75 to avoid potential delays at the Sunrise Boulevard exit.
- When traveling via Sunrise Boulevard, continue eastbound to NW 136th Avenue and travel south to either NW 14th Street, NW 12th Street, or NW 8th Street to enter Sawgrass Corporate Park.
- Access to adjoining businesses will be maintained at all times via the Sawgrass Corporate Parkway northbound lanes.
For full details, including a map of the impacted area, please visit sunrisefl.gov/trafficadvisory .