Broward County high school students are invited to audition for Sunrise's ninth annual Word Up! Poetry Slam
, presented in collaboration with the Jason Taylor Foundation
and the Omari Hardwick bluapple Poetry Network
Key dates and times for our ninth annual slam include:
- Audition Registration Deadline: Friday, November 3, at 3:00 p.m. (Mention that you saw our Word Up! ad in the November 5 issue of the Sun-Sentinel, and you can submit your application on Monday, November 6.)
- Audition: Wednesday, November 8, at 6:00 p.m. (Sunrise Civic Center Theatre)
- Workshop #1: Saturday, November 18, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Workshop #2: Saturday, December 2, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Workshop #3: Saturday, December 9, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Workshop #4: Saturday, December 16, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Word Up! Poetry Slam: Wednesday, December 20, at 7:00 p.m. (Sunrise Civic Center Theatre)
Pre-registration is required: Download your audition application here. If you have questions about the application or audition process, call (954) 747-4662.
Poets who are selected to compete must participate in a series of free Saturday workshops at the Sunrise Civic Center. During these workshops (dates/times listed above), students will receive valuable writing and performance assistance in preparation for the final slam on Wednesday, December 20. The top prize includes $250 cash (courtesy of the Jason Taylor Foundation), a trophy, and bragging rights.
Not ready to audition? Purchase a $5 ticket to the Word Up! Poetry Slam and hear some of Broward's top youth spoken-word artists. Call the Sunrise Civic Center Box Office for information (954-747-4646) or visit https://www.sunrisefl.gov/tickets.html to reserve your seat.