The City of Sunrise regulates several types of Special Events and Temporary Outdoor Sales.
Please CLICK on the link below to jump to that section:
Temporary Outdoor Sales
Outdoor sales can be a great way to promote business, sell extra inventory, or seasonal items. While outside storage and sale of items is not generally permitted, the City does allow temporary outdoor sales with certain conditions.
A Temporary Outdoor Sale Permit is required for any sale that occurs in a parking lot or on undeveloped land.
Each property is limited to three (3) temporary outdoor sales per year. (Plazas are considered one property.)
General sales may last for up to three (3) consecutive days. Pumpkin, Christmas tree, and fireworks sales may last longer (30-35 days).
A Temporary Outdoor Sales Permit application must be submitted at least 15 days in advance with a fee of $52.50. (Late applications are subject to a double fee.)
Separate building permits may be required for structures used for the sale, including generators, portopotties, and canopies larger than 10’x10’, such as the one pictured here.
To make smaller outdoor sales even easier for business owners, the City recognizes a difference in the nature of sales that occur right outside a building under a roof overhang or on a sidewalk, compared to those in a parking lot.
- Each year, the property owner must register with the City and acknowledge all applicable regulations, and provide insurance documentation.
- Property owners are required to notify the City at least 7 days in advance of any sale.
- A maximum of 3 sales total per location per year (counting both sidewalk and parking-lot sales)
- No permit or fee is required for sidewalk sales.
- Sales that are conducted by a non-profit organization will not count towards the maximum number of sales allowed at the property, but still require notification to the city.
Typically, special events include festivals, any event with food trucks, carnivals, concerts, parades, walks, races, fund raising sales, grand opening promotions and other similar events. Any outdoor sale that has entertainment activities is considered a special event.
- Each property is limited to six (6) events per year. (Multi-tenant plazas are considered one property.)
- Events may only last one day, and may not be consecutive, unless special approval is received from the City Commission.
- The Special Events Permit application must be submitted at least 15 days in advance with a fee of $78.75. If the event is expected to draw more than 1,000 people, it must be submitted 30 days in advance with a fee of $157.50. (Late applications are subject to a double fee.)
- Separate building permits may be required for structures used for the event, including canopies larger than 10’x10’, generators, portopotties and stages.
Special Event Permits are not generally required for:
Events on residential property,
Usage of the City park pavilions or other City facilities - unless there will be a large crowd or structures that require permits for installation, or
Activities located on public schools sites that do not require assistance from the City of Sunrise.
Events at Markham Park must first be coordinated through Broward County park staff. Please contact the park at (954) 357-8868 or MarkhamPark@broward.org.
- Typically, the use of park facilities and many smaller events do not require additional permitting through the City of Sunrise. Police and Fire/EMS services may be required, even if a City Special Event Permit is not. Larger events may require a Special Event permit from the City of Sunrise.
- Markham Park may only host (6) permitted Special Events per year.
- Events may last for more than one day.
- Concert-only events are allowed a maximum of 7,500 people. Other events may have a maximum attendance of 15,000 people.
- The Special Events Permit application must be submitted not less than 45 days in advance with a fee of $78.75, unless the event is expected to draw more than 1,000 people, in which case the fee is $157.50. (Late applications are subject to a double fee.)
- Separate building permits may be required for structures used for the event, including canopies larger than 10’x10’, generators, portopotties, and stages.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION please call (954) 746-3281 or send your questions to AskZoning@sunrisefl.gov.