This free and friendly series of meet-ups, spearheaded by Sunrise Mayor Michael J. Ryan in cooperation with Mayors from throughout Broward County, draws attention to the benefits of chess in both the academic environment and in our community.
Each Mayors' Chess Challenge event provides an opportunity for players of all ages, novices and experts alike, to join in the fun with elected officials and community leaders. Instructors from the Sunrise Center for Excellence in Chess are on hand to help those new to the game.
The complete 2019-2020 schedule
is as follows:
- City of Deerfield Beach: Saturday, September 14, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Hillsboro Technology Center, 50 Hillsboro Technology Drive
- City of Fort Lauderdale: Saturday, September 21, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Riverland Park, 950 SW 27th Avenue
- City of Sunrise: Saturday, September 28, at 10:00 a.m. - noon - Sunrise Civic Center, 10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard
- Town of Davie: Saturday, October 5, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Pine Island Multipurpose Center, 3801 South Pine Island Drive
- City of Tamarac: Saturday, November 2, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Tamarac Community Center, 8601 West Commercial Boulevard
- City of Lauderhill: Saturday, November 16, at 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - Multipurpose Rooms 5581 W. Oakland Park Blvd.,
- City of Dania Beach: Saturday, December 13, at 6:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. - CW Thomas Park, 100 NW 8th Avenue
- City of Coconut Creek: Saturday, December 14, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Recreation Complex 4455 Sol Press Blvd. Coconut Creek, FL 33073
- City of Weston: Saturday, January 11, from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. - Weston Community Center, 20200 Saddle Club Road
- City of Coral Springs: Saturday, January 18, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Mullins Hall in Mullins Park, 10000 Ben Geiger Drive/NW 29th Street
- City of North Lauderdale: Saturday, January 25, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - North Lauderdale Teen/Recreation Center 701 SW 71st Avenue North Lauderdale, FL 33068
- City of Pompano Beach: Saturday, February 1, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - Pompano Beach Cultural Center, 50 W Atlantic Blvd Pompano Beach, Florida 33060
- City of Cooper City: Saturday, February 8, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Pool and Tennis Center, 11600 Stonebridge Parkway
- City of Boca Raton: Saturday, February 15, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Boca Raton Downtown Public Library 400 NW 2nd Avenue Boca Raton, FL 33432
- City of Miramar: Saturday, February 22, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Vizcaya Park, 14200 SW 55th Street
- City of Parkland: Saturday, February 29, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center, 10559 Trails End
- City of Hollywood: Saturday, March 7, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - David Park Community Center, 108 N. 33rd Court, Hollywood, FL 33021
- City of Oakland Park: Saturday, March 28, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Jaco Pastorius Park Community Center, 1098 NE 40th Court
- City of Wilton Manors: Saturday, April 11, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Hagen Park Community Center, 2020 Wilton Drive Wilton Manors, FL 33305
- City of Lauderdale Lakes: Saturday, April 23, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - Multipurpose Auditorium, 4340 NW 36th Street
- City of Plantation: Saturday, May 9, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Deicke Auditorium 5701 Cypress Rd, Plantation, FL 33317
- City of Pembroke Pines: Saturday, May 16, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Club 19 at Pembroke Lakes Golf & Racquet Club, 10500 Taft Street
Players will receive a Mayors' Chess Challenge Passport
so they can log their participation over the course of the school year. Those with perfect attendance will receive a prize at the end of the season.
For more information, please contact the Sunrise Leisure Services Department: (954) 747-4600.