This program is closed as of May 19, 2020, and will reopen when additional funds are secured.
The City of Sunrise recognizes the impact that COVID-19 has had on its residents. In support of our community, the City has created the COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program. This program provides assistance to eligible City of Sunrise residents who have experienced a loss of income as a result of COVID-19.
- Applications will be processed on a first come, first qualified, first served basis.
- If additional funding is available after applications are processed, the program will be reopened.
- Applications received prior to Monday, May 18, 2020 at 9:00 AM will not be considered.
- Applications that are emailed must have all supporting documents attached and original signed application and notarized documents delivered to the City of Sunrise Community Development Department Redevelopment & Grants Division within 3 business days.
- City staff is available at the City of Sunrise Community Development Department to notarize applications. All signatory must provide proper identification for notary.
AVAILABLE ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
- Temporary Rent and/or Utility Payments
The City will assist residents with up to 3 months of rent and/or utility assistance. Rental assistance will be provided up to $5,000. In addition, qualified applicants will be granted up to $1,000 of assistance for utility payments. Utilities included within this program are water and sewage, electric and gas.
- Temporary Mortgage and/or Utility Payments
The City will assist homeowners with up to 3 months of mortgage and/or utility assistance. Mortgage assistance will be provided up to $5,000. In addition, qualified applicants will be granted up to $1,000 of assistance for utility payments.
Residents must meet the eligibility criteria specified below, complete an application for the program, and provide all required supporting documentation to determine household eligibility.
- Must reside within the corporate City limits
- Household gross annual income must not exceed current program guidelines:
SHIP Requires a household not exceed 120% of the Area Median Income
CDBG Requires a household not exceed 80% Area Median Income
- Must have a documentable loss of income due to COVID-19, including a reduction of hours, unemployment, or underemployment
- Utility bills provided must be in applicant’s name or a household member’s name
- Must not receive duplicate benefits and must sign a Duplication of Benefits agreement with the City
Additional Requirements for Rent Assistance
- Lease must be in applicant’s name or a household member’s name
- Must be the applicants primary residence
Additional Requirements for Mortgage Assistance
- Property must be registered in applicant’s name or a household member’s name
- Mortgage must be in applicant’s name or household member’s name
- Property must have homesteaded exemption with the Broward County Property Appraisers Office. Verification of this requirement is available at: https://bcpa.net/RecMenu.asp
- The Community Development Department, Redevelopment and Grants Division, will be responsible for the COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program. In order to participate, applicants must meet all eligibility requirements and complete the following steps. Prior to application submission, please review the COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program Frequently Asked Questions.
Applicants shall complete the COVID-19 Emergency Assistance application and submit the completed application, including all supporting documentation to:
City of Sunrise
Community Development Department
Redevelopment and Grants Division
1601 NW 136th Avenue, Building A
Sunrise, FL 33323
- City staff will process the application for eligibility. If applicant household is eligible and funds are available, the applicant will be asked to sign an income certification and a Duplication of Benefits agreement. City staff will notify the resident of application status, once it has been reviewed.
- City staff will coordinate payment directly to the applicant’s landlord, mortgage lender, and/or utility companies as applicable.
For questions or information regarding the COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program, please contact the Community Development Department Redevelopment and Grants Division at 954-572-2315 or Housing@sunrisefl.gov.