Limited Summer Camp Spots Available Now!
A limited number of 2020 Summer Camp spots are available to Sunrise residents age 5 to 11. Spots will be filled on a first come, first served basis and applications will be accepted until noon on Tuesday, June 2, 2020.
Interested Sunrise families are encouraged to complete an application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with all required supporting documents - including proof of residency and a copy of each participant's birth certificate. See the Application Information section at the bottom of this page for details. Do not provide payment information with your application; payment will be discussed when City staff contact you to verify and process enrollment.
Important Changes to This Year's Summer Camp Program
Given the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Sunrise has made some important changes to our 2020 Summer Camp Program. These changes are designed to ensure the safety of all participants, and are based upon the most current guidelines from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and the American Camp Association.
While we know these changes may not be ideal, they enable us to offer a safe, caring and compassionate program for Sunrise children this summer. Here’s what you can expect:
Safety is Paramount. With the health and safety of our campers and staff as our top priority, the following new requirements have been implemented:
- Each staff member and camper will be temperature checked upon arrival and once during the day. Anyone with a fever of 100.4 or above will be denied entrance.
- Anyone showing any signs of illness will be separated from the group and sent home immediately. (Examples include fever, cough, rash, difficulty breathing, vomiting, etc.)
- Each staff member and camper will be required to wear facial coverings. The City will not provide facial coverings.
- Anyone without a facial covering will be denied entrance and anyone not wearing their facial covering during the day will be separated from the group and sent home immediately.
- Each camper will be provided with their own craft supplies by the City, to prevent sharing of high-touch items.
- Cleaning and sanitizing – including handwashing – will be increased throughout the day.
- Social distancing will be observed to the extent possible.
Space is Limited. The School Board of Broward County recently announced they would not open any school buildings during the summer. This eliminates schools as camp sites, which significantly reduces the number of camp locations and the number of families we are able to serve. The following changes have been made to our program to accommodate a total of 158 campers:
- Camps will be held at the following City facilities: The Sunrise Civic Center, Flamingo Hall, Flamingo Meeting Room, Nob Hill Hall, New River Civic Center, Village Civic Center, and the Sunrise Athletic Complex Meeting Room.
- Campers will be assigned to one of these locations based upon their age.
- Sunrise usually allows participants from 5 to 15 year old. However, due to our new capacity limit, we are only enrolling elementary-school age campers, up to 11 years old.
- Camp groups will be limited to 10 people – including campers and counselors. The number of groups at each site will depend on the size of the facility.
- Specialty camps (such as Theatre and Sports) will not be offered this year.
No Field Trips. Our team is developing fun and enriching activities with social distancing in mind to be held on-site at the camp locations. There will be no field trips, with the exception of swimming at Sunrise pools.
Boxed Lunches. As in prior years, lunches will be provided; however, this year they will arrive boxed and ready to be distributed to campers.
Camp Fees. Fees for Summer Camp will remain the same this year and will not be adjusted due to the changes listed above. Our full-day, eight-week camp for Sunrise residents is $525. Summer Camp is held from June 15 through August 7 (no camp on July 3) from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Please note that each family enrolling a child in this year’s Summer Camp program will be asked to sign an additional waiver regarding COVID-19. Given the current circumstances, the City reserves the right to cancel camp at any time and provide a prorated refund to families. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our Summer Camp team in the Leisure Services Department at (954) 747-4600 or email@example.com.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we implement these changes. Our goal is to provide a Summer Camp Program that’s fun, engaging, and above all, safe.
In order to enroll, Sunrise families must provide all of the following:
- A fully-completed registration form,
- A copy of each participant's birth certificate (even if you've submitted a copy in the past), and
- Proof of residency that's current as of March 2020.
Only the following proof of residency will be accepted: