The City’s objective when opening a new account and/or incurring additional service charges to an existing account is to protect the rights of the property owner and those conducting business on their behalf. City procedures currently in place have been established to reasonably protect all parties from unauthorized service, identity theft and/or fraud.
When opening a new account or requesting temporary service for inspection, a requestor, if someone other than the owner of record, must be able to establish a clear link between all parties involved with the property to include banks, asset managers and listing agents. This link can include documents such as a recorded Special Warranty Deed, Quit Claim Deed, Certificate of Title, Power of Attorney, or listing agreement. A clear line of authority from the owner of record, the intermediary company (management company), through to the party requesting service (Broker, listing agent) must be demonstrated. All lines of authority must be seamless from one party to the next without any unaccounted for breaks in the link.
Opening New Accounts
1. To open a new account the requestor must provide proof of ownership through a recorded Special Warranty Deed, Quit Claim Deed, Certificate of Title or a clear line of authority from the Broward County Property Appraisers (BCPA) website.
2. Application for service must be completed, signed, accompanied by proof of ownership and an official governmental identification such as a driver’s license or passport. All balances due to the City through the date of application along with applicable service deposits (water, gas) must be paid at the time of application. Applications may be obtained on our Opening A Utility Account page or by visiting any of our Public Service locations.
3. Under City of Weston Ordinance, accounts in the Indian Trace Developed Section of Weston must be maintained in the owner of record’s name.
Temporary Service for Inspection – 24 Hour Turn-On
1. In most cases, a fee of $30.00 per service (water, gas) must accompany each 24 hour temporary service request. Meters that have been previously removed from a property will require a fee of $50.00 per service. Meter status and actual cost for temporary service (temporary turn on) can be obtained from City staff prior to or at the time of request.
2. A seller or buyer of a property may also request this service with a contract for sale. Proper picture identification is required at the time of request.
Additional information may be obtained by contacting Public Service, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (954) 746-3232.