Sunrise residents who need assistance may benefit from the following local resources:
- The Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) provides information and assistance to Broward County residents who are age 60 and older. Visit the ADRC Web site, or call their Elder Helpline: (954) 745-9779.
- 211 Broward provides an online community database of social services and provider agencies in Broward County. For assistance, visit the 211 Broward website or call their 24-hour help line: 2-1-1 (or 954-537-0211).
- The Broward County Call Center provides information about a wide range of County programs, including but not limited to: TOPS - Paratransit Transportation, Veteran and Elderly Services, and Property Tax assistance. Contact the Call Center by dialing 3-1-1 (or 954-831-4000).
- Broward County maintains a Vulnerable Population Registry for residents who are at risk due to disability, frailty or health issues - regardless of age - who elect to stay at home in the event of a hurricane or other emergency. Public safety officials may use Registry information to assist in planning their overall emergency response. There is no guarantee that help will be provided to Registry participants. To enroll, visit the Broward County Vulnerable Population Registry webpage.
City Social Worker
The City has a full-time social worker, with an office in the Sunrise Senior Center, who helps eligible residents of all ages obtain federal, state and/or local assistance. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Resources are available regarding these and other issues:
|• Housing||• Frail Elderly / Alzheimers Day Care|
|• Home Repair||• Transportation|
|• Employment||• Access to Health Care|
|• Social Security||• Food Stamps, Pantries and Prepared Meals|
|• Medicaid||• Farm Share Program Information|
Sunrise police, firefighters and paramedics work closely with the social services division and frequently make referrals for assistance with non-medical crisis situations to provide appropriate support services to help the situation stabilize.
Emergency Assistance Fund (EAF)
Donations are made to this fund by the local business community as well as by civic groups and individuals to help provide financial assistance for qualified residents in emergency situations.
Fee Waiver Program
The City of Sunrise offers a fee waiver program for designated recreational programs, allowing qualified disadvantaged youth to participate in athletic or camp programs. Based on current Federal Poverty Guidelines, residents are screened and registered for the waivers through the office of the Sunrise social worker.
Canned food is collected and distributed to provide groceries to eligible residents in time of emergency. Durable medical equipment such as canes, walkers and wheelchairs are also available for loan to residents in need of these supplies.
Broward County Veteran Advisor
Broward County Veteran Services provides assistance to veterans, their widows, and dependent survivors regardless of age or status. Services include: Information, Referral, and Linkage & Benefits and Claims Processing.
Broward County Property Appraiser
Representatives from the Broward County Property Appraiser’s office will help taxpayers apply for homestead and other property tax exemptions, including those for seniors, widows/widowers, the disabled, and veterans.
This group is facilitated by a professional grief counselor, and is a valuable source of support for those dealing with grief and mourning.
Income Tax Assistance
During income tax season starting in February through Tax Day in April, IRS certified volunteers assist taxpayers whose income does not exceed $52,000.00 (By appointment only). Taxes are filed electronically during the appointment.
Free eyeglass repair by a licensed optician. Repairs such as nose pads, screw replacements and minor frame adjustments are done at the Sunrise Senior Center once a month.
Prescription Discount Card Program
Sunrise residents who are without health insurance or a traditional pharmacy benefit plan - or who have prescriptions not covered by insurance - can take advantage of this plan. The savings is approximately 20%. Enrollment is free, and there are no income or age requirements.
Non-emergency medical transportation is available to eligible Sunrise residents who are 62 years or older or physically handicapped. Pending a mandatory application and approval process, residents may access this free service if they no longer maintain a vehicle in their immediate household and need reliable transportation to doctors, dentists, and medical appointments.
Health and Wellness Programs
• Screening programs for issues such as memory loss, hearing, bone density, balance and strokes are offered.
• A series of seminars and lectures address a variety of health concerns.
• An annual holiday party for underprivileged Sunrise youth is provided by the City and co-sponsored by the civic and business community. Food, entertainment and gifts are given to all that attend.
• Local residents sometimes contact our social worker to adopt a family for various holidays.
• Coordination of the food and or gifts is done through our social worker. The level of family interaction with the individual or group making the donation is determined on a case-by-case basis.
• Our social worker selects and coordinates with needy families to receive Thanksgiving Baskets. The baskets consist of all the items needed to prepare a complete dinner.
For more information regarding the City's social services resources, please call (954) 746-3670.