Skip to page body Home About Us What's New Departments & Services Residents Businesses Visitors How Do I…?

Internal Affairs Division
10440 W. Oakland Park Blvd
Sunrise, FL 33351

Contact Numbers:

Internal Affairs Sergeant (954) 746-3590

Internal Affairs Lieutenant (954) 746-3583


Commend An Officer

Everyone likes a pat on the back when they do a good job. Sunrise Police Officers are no different. Each year, the Department receives thousands of employee commendations from the public. But for each one we receive, there are probably twice as many commendable acts that go unnoticed.

When you receive service from our Department that you feel is worthy of a commendation, we would like to hear about it. Call the Internal Affairs Division Internal Affairs Sergeant (954) 746-3590, or Lieutenant (954) 746-3583 or the employee's supervisor (if you know it). Please include all the information you can remember such as the employee's name, the date, time and circumstances of the incident.

The employee will be notified of your commendation as will his/her supervisor, and a copy will also be placed in his/her employee file.


File A Complaint

The Sunrise Police Department takes ALL complaints seriously. When a citizen lodges a complaint against a member of the Sunrise Police Department, it is assigned to the Internal Affairs Division for review. This office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If the Internal Affairs Division (IAD) offices are closed, you may lodge a complaint with any supervisory officer of the department. Once received, the complaint will be investigated by IAD or the employee's supervisor.

Florida law requires that all complaints against police officers must be in writing and signed by the person making the complaint. Just as citizens who are arrested must be notified of the charges against them, police officers must be given a copy of the complaint before any disciplinary action may be taken.

Complaints must be made within 60 days of the incident complained about, except in special cases (such as criminal misconduct or when good cause can be shown by the person making the complaint). Complaints must be made by the person aggrieved (wronged). Other persons may give statements as witnesses.

Last updated: 3/28/2019 1:05:25 PM