A police officer's fundamental duty is to protect and serve the community. Sunrise Police Officers perform their duties with respect, integrity, courage and justice, and have maintained this proud tradition since 1961. We strive to continue this legacy of excellence in our hiring efforts and select only those individuals with the highest standards and qualifications.
The Sunrise Police Department offers exceptional training, numerous opportunities for professional development, and an excellent salary and benefits package. You must meet certain requirements and complete testing for job employment. As a Sunrise Police Officer, you protect the community, while securing your future.
I am proud to serve as the Chief of Police for the City of Sunrise, and honored to work with such a strong, diverse group of men and women. I believe that the Sunrise Police Department is the best and most professional organization in the country. If you want a challenging and rewarding career, I invite you to apply for a Sunrise Police Officer position.
Anthony W. Rosa
Chief of Police
Become a Sunrise Police Officer and Make a Difference!
Sunrise! Second to None...
The City of Sunrise reflects character and offers a high quality of life. The cultural diversity in the South Florida area ensures an abundance of leisure options including professional and recreational sports, and many performing visual arts. The City of Sunrise is the home of the National Hockey League's Florida Panthers, and other professional sports franchises are in the local area as well. The City of Sunrise and the South Florida area has something for everyone.
A career in law enforcement is like no other job. You can see the results of your efforts. You are part of the community, solving problems, meeting people, changing the world we live in for the better.
If you possess integrity, strong communication skills, a firm reassuring manner, and sound judgment under pressure, you can make a difference as a Police Officer. Most of all, you must be committed to public service, professionalism, and a peaceful community. By helping to make the City of Sunrise a better place to live, you'll earn the respect of the citizens you serve.
Upon completion of your field training program, probationary period, and the length of time required in patrol you can apply for one of these or other specialized positions in the Department:
A Sunrise Police Career
- Criminal Investigations
- Street Crimes Unit
- Vice, Intelligence, and Narcotics
- Traffic Enforcement
- Community Relations
- Honor Guard
- Training Unit
- Crisis Negotiation Unit
- Mobile Field Force
- Bicycle Patrol Unit
- School Resource Officer
Your career as a Sunrise Police Officer begins with extensive training at the Criminal Justice Institute located on the campus of Broward College. During the 22-week Police Academy, you will learn subjects ranging from criminal law, report writing, principles of investigations, defensive tactics, police vehicle operations and firearms training.
Following successful completion of the Police Academy you will put what you have learned to the test during a 14 week In-Service Training period. You will apply what you have learned in the academy alongside a Field Training Officer who will provide on-the-job training, guidance, and evaluations.
As your career develops, promotional opportunities to the rank of Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, and beyond become available. In addition, you may qualify to perform in specialized areas such as tactical operations, training, criminal investigations, or community policing.
Pay & Benefits
Police Officer Trainee:
- Starting $56,826.64
- Maximum $80,294.66
Below is a summary of retirement benefits, and participation is required when employed as a police officer. However, exact retirement benefits are determined by many factors. A more in depth summary is available at the Sunrise Police Pension Website.
* Pay & Benefits are subject to change (based on Legislative actions, Collective Bargaining, and/or Policy Changes)
- Vest in retirement after 10 years of creditable service*
- Retire with 70% after 20 years of creditable service*
- Officers contribute 9.84% of salary towards pension plan*
- Take-Home Vehicle Program
- 96 Vacation hours earned annually*
- 96 Sick Hours earned annually*
Applicants Must be U.S. citizens.
Age & Education
- Be at least 19 years of age.
- Be a high school graduate or its equivalent (G.E.D. under Florida Educational Standards).
- Must not admit to, been convicted of, or placed on deferred adjudication for any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence.
- No Family Violence.
- Be of good moral character as determined by the Department and by the State of Florida regulatory guidelines.
Must have been honorably discharged from the military and DD214 must accompany your application.
The Hiring Process
- Must be fingerprinted by the Sunrise Police Department.
- Must meet our very restrictive drug testing standard.
- Possess good reading comprehension, writing and communication skills.
- Ability to pass an extensive pre-employment screening and background investigation.
Documents required with Application:
- CJBAT (test score above 79%)
- SWIM Test
- PHYSICAL AGILITY Test
- Testing provided by the Police academy at the Institute of Public Safety located Broward College.
- Results of all Pre-Application testing must be included with your application packet.
**Applicants MUST have all applicable documents prior to further review. **
- Valid State of Florida Drivers License (with good diving record)
- Social Security Card
- Official College Transcripts (if applicable)
- Birth Certificate (original or certified copy)
- High School Transcript (certified or official) or G.E.D.
- DD214 - member 4 page, if applicable (copy)
- City of Sunrise Employment Application
- Official case disposition documentation on any criminal cases
- Letters of recommendation / commendation (if available)
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (if not native born)
- Any of Supportive documents / letters for entries made in the questionnaire that were not addressed in the list (as appropriate)
- Oral Board Examination
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination (Including Drug Screening)
- Comprehensive Background Investigation
Information pertaining to open positions within the Police Department can be obtained on line at this website or by calling the job line at 954-746-3320.
The Sunrise Police Department is an equal opportunity employer.
Top of Page