The City of Sunrise is committed to making every day Earth Day!
Good and Green is a program designed to inform and inspire our residents, businesses, schools and institutions to practice sustainability. We invite you to take the Good and Green Pledge today, by taking the Pledge you will be included on our green contact list and periodically receive useful news and information about ways to conserve resources and practice stewardship.
Read the latest issue of the Good and Green newsletter.
The Good and Green Pledge: Recognizing that sustainability is about considering how my decisions and actions affect our current and future environmental, economic, and social vibrancy, and recognizing that we each have a role to play; I pledge to take action to support a Sustainable Sunrise.
In my work place, home and lifestyle, I commit to taking actions to minimize my ecological footprint and to support the current and future well-being of our community. Through my actions I can effect positive change and inspire others to take similar steps.
I am committing to supporting a more Sustainable Sunrise by:
- Conserving resources and reducing waste;
- Supporting a sustainable economy; and
- Practicing stewardship.
Ways To Be Good & Green
Once you have taken the pledge, take action in each of the three categories below:
SAVE WATER: Be a water champion!
- Sunrise Water Utility customers are eligible for FREE kitchen and bathroom faucet aerators and shower heads. How about a $100 rebate for replacing your older toilets? For info call 954-888-6023 or visit conservationpays.com
- Did you know landscaping accounts for about 40% of water use here in South Florida? Consider making your landscape a Naturescape.
- Conserve energy by switching your old light bulbs to LED bulbs, and learning these 10 Ways To Save.
- Evaluate your energy usage and find ways to save by using FPL’s Energy Dashboard.
- FPL customers can complete a FREE Online Energy Survey, and schedule an onsite evaluation!
- You can also reduce peak energy demand and get paid, contact FPL’s On Call program.
- Income eligible households may be eligible for weatherization home improvements, call 877-212-0309 for more information.
- Did you know that aggressive driving is expensive? Save on gas by driving smoothly, avoid idling, and keep your tires properly inflated.
- Broward County PACE property improvement financing program for energy efficiency, renewable energy and wind resistance upgrades like impact windows, doors and roofs.
REDUCE WASTE: Reduce, reuse, then recycle!
- Reduce waste by refusing single-use plastics like plastic bags, straws, cups, and utensils. Pledge to Skip the Straw with the Ocean Conservancy.
- Reduce waste by reclaiming your mailbox. To opt out of pre-approved credit card and insurance offers, call 888-5-OPT-OUT from your home telephone; it will be checked against an address database. To free yourself from more than 75% of unwanted junk mail and catalogs, buy a subscription to an organization like 41 Pounds ($41 for five years) or Green Dimes ($20 for first year/$10 to renew). As a bonus, Green Dimes will even plant five trees in your name. Stop Junk Mail: 7 Ways to Reduce Waste
- Reuse instead of throwing away, like reusing shopping bags and water bottles. Donate usable goods like clothing, toys and furniture.
- Recycle Right by placing plastic bottles, paper, cardboard, metal cans and aluminum cans in your blue bin. DO NOT PUT PLASTIC BAGS in your recycling bins. Review the full list of acceptable and unacceptable materials, or if you have questions call 954-577-1135.
- Safely dispose of your household hazardous waste and electric waste at one of the City's collection 2019 Household Hazardous Waste Events!
Support our Economy
- Shop Sunrise, Source and Hire Locally.
- Buy Green: Look for the environmentally friendly option when shopping or buying business supplies.
- Get Involved: There are a number of great organizations including the Greater Sunrise Chamber of Commerce that can help your business.
- Be a butterfly hero! Help Sunrise reach our goal of becoming a Community Wildlife Habitat through the National Wildlife Federation. The City achieves points toward certification for each home, business, school, and City property that certifies within our City boundary.
- Adopt a Street: Your group or business are invited to demonstrate your commitment to a clean and beautiful Sunrise!
- Be a Good and Green Ambassador and bring useful information to your neighbors, work place or school. Students can receive service hours! Join the Sunrise Citizen Volunteer Corps!
- The City of Sunrise has a Sustainability Advisory Board that meets on the second Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. These meetings are open to the public, your input is welcome!
For more ways to be Good and Green or to request water conservation and butterfly-friendly landscaping flyers, or assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 954-888-6043.