Natural gas, electricity, propane, or solar energy can become a hazard if not used in a safe manner.
We encourage you to teach your family how to use gas safely. Please take a moment to review the following safety information. Follow these simple Do's and Don'ts on using energy and appliances safely.
Keep the area around gas appliances clear. Gas appliances need adequate air flow for proper combustion. The gas flame should be a bright blue color with possibly an occasional fleck of yellow. If the flame is mostly yellow, turn off the appliance and call our Public Service Department for service.
Consider installing a carbon monoxide detector.
- Clean the lint filter in the clothes dryer (electric or gas) before each use.
- Replace plastic dryer vent hose with a flexible metal vent.
- Periodically check and clean the outside dryer vent opening when the dryer is operating. You should have good air flow out of the vent opening.
- Keep all cooking surfaces clean.
- Have the furnace checked before each heating season.
- Change furnace and air-conditioner filters regularly.
- Keep all manufacturer Owner's Manuals and follow the cautions.
- Use only qualified individuals to connect and service gas appliances.
Don't block the flow of air to a gas appliance by blocking off vents or by replacing a louver door with a solid door or by enclosing a water heater or furnace with walls or doors. The gas flame should be a bright blue color with possibly an occasional fleck of yellow. If the flame is mostly yellow, turn off the appliance and call our Public Service Department for service.
Don't use a garage with a gas water heater or furnace as a bedroom.
Don't store or use any flammable liquids in an area where the vapors may be ignited by an electrical spark or a flame.
Do not use a plastic vent hose on any dryer. Replace it with a flexible metal dryer vent.
- Do not repeatedly move the dryer or range unnecessarily, it can damage the flexible connector.
- Do not place any thing on top of any water heater (electric or gas)
- Do not block or remove any vents, either inside or outside.