In 2014, the Sunrise City Commission approved the development of a comprehensive plan that would illustrate and define the development, improvement and/or linkage of new and existing sidewalks, bike lanes, paths, greenways, and trails and amenities for the City. The resulting Bicycle & Pedestrian Greenways & Trails Master Plan was created through the collaborative efforts of the City's Leisure Services, Community Development, and Capital Projects teams, the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Board, and the residents of Sunrise.
In January 2015, the Commission voted unanimously to adopt the Master Plan, so that it may be utilized as a planning document for future improvements that will support safe and convenient walking, biking, and access to transit services.
The Bicycle & Pedestrian Greenways & Trails Master Plan is organized into the following sections:
- Introduction - Provides an overview of the project as well as the vision, goals and summary of the public planning process.
- Needs Analysis - Documents existing conditions and analysis.
- Recommendations - Presents recommendations for bicycles, greenways, pedestrians, transit, support facilities, programs and policies.
- Implementation - Summarizes the responsibilities, action steps and strategies to achieve the vision and goals established by this Plan.
- Appendix - Includes supporting documents.