This free and friendly series of meet-ups, spearheaded by Sunrise Mayor Michael J. Ryan in cooperation with Mayors from throughout Broward County, draws attention to the benefits of chess in both the academic environment and in our community.
Each Mayors' Chess Challenge event provides an opportunity for players of all ages, novices and experts alike, to join in the fun with elected officials and community leaders. Instructors from the Sunrise Center for Excellence in Chess are on hand to help those new to the game.
The complete 2018-2019 schedule
is as follows:
- CITY OF SUNRISE: Saturday, September 29, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Sunrise Civic Center, 10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard
- Town of Davie: Saturday, October 6, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Pine Island Multipurpose Center, 3801 South Pine Island Drive
- City of Tamarac: Saturday, October 27, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Tamarac Community Center, 8601 West Commercial Boulevard
- City of Lauderhill: Saturday, November 3, at 9:30 a.m. - Veterans Park, 7600 NW 50th Street
- City of Deerfield Beach: Saturday, November 17, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Hillsboro Technology Center, 50 Hillsboro Technology Drive
- City of Coconut Creek: Saturday, December 15, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Coconut Creek Community Center, 1100 Lyons Road
- City of Dania Beach: Friday, December 21, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. - CW Thomas Park, 100 NW 8th Avenue
- City of Weston: Saturday, January 12, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Weston Community Center, 20200 Saddle Club Road
- City of North Lauderdale: Saturday, January 19, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - North Lauderdale Teen/Recreation Center, 701 SW 71st Avenue
- City of Coral Springs: Saturday, January 26, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Mullins Hall in Mullins Park, 10000 Ben Geiger Drive/NW 29th Street
- City of Parkland: Saturday, February 2, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center, 10599 Trails End
- City of Cooper City: Saturday, February 9, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Pool & Tennis Center, 11600 Stonebridge Parkway
- City of Miramar: Saturday, February 16, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Vizcaya Park, 14200 SW 55th Street
- City of Wilton Manors: Saturday, February 23, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Hagen Park Community Center, 2020 Wilton Drive
- City of Hollywood: Saturday, March 9, from 9:00 a.m. to noon - Fred Lippman Multipurpose Center, 2030 Polk Street
- City of Oakland Park: Saturday, March 23, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Jaco Pastorius Park Community Center, 1098 NE 40th Court
- City of Fort Lauderdale: Saturday, April 6, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Riverland Park, 950 SW 27th Avenue
- City of Lauderdale Lakes: Thursday, April 25, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - Multipurpose Auditorium, 4340 NW 36th Street
- City of Pembroke Pines: Saturday, May 18, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Club 19 at Pembroke Lakes Golf & Racquet Club, 10500 Taft Street
Players will receive a Mayors' Chess Challenge Passport
so they can log their participation over the course of the school year. Those with perfect attendance will receive a prize at the end of the season.
For more information, please contact the Sunrise Leisure Services Department: (954) 747-4600.