The new Residents Leadership Academy (RLA) - launching in fall 2019 - is an engaging six-week program that provides participants with a behind-the-scenes look at City of Sunrise operations, including programs, services, departments, and facilities. The RLA is designed for Sunrise residents and business owners who want to learn about local government and play a more active role in our community.
RLA sessions feature hands-on activities, guest speakers, classroom discussion, networking opportunities, and information regarding advisory boards and volunteer positions. We are committed to providing each RLA participant with a valuable and enriching experience.
Under our program guidelines, RLA participants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a Sunrise resident or business owner;
- Be interested in enhancing neighborhood advocacy and community leadership skills;
- Not be currently running for elected office;
- Complete and submit the RLA application; and
- Attend 5 of 6 sessions to graduate
The RLA is comprised of five Wednesday-night sessions (6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.) and one Saturday session (9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.), each with a specific focus:
- City Commission, City Manager's Office, and City Clerk
- Police and Fire-Rescue
- Finance, Utilities, and Public Service
- Human Resources and Community Development
- Sustainability and Economic Development (including Redevelopment)
- Tour of Utilities and Leisure Services facilities
Graduation will be held at at Tuesday-night Sunrise City Commission meeting.
Dates for RLA Cohort I - set to begin in fall 2019 - will be announced shortly.
There is no cost to attend the Residents Leadership Academy; however, space is limited and interested participants must complete an application. For more information, please contact Sady I. Diaz, Public Engagement Manager, at (954) 747-4662 or firstname.lastname@example.org.