The new Residents Leadership Academy (RLA) - launching in October 2019 - is an engaging six-week program that provides participants with a behind-the-scenes look at City of Sunrise operations, including programs, services, departments, and facilities. The RLA is designed for Sunrise residents and business owners who want to learn about local government and play a more active role in our community.
RLA sessions feature hands-on activities, guest speakers, classroom discussion, networking opportunities, and information regarding advisory boards and volunteer positions. We are committed to providing each RLA participant with a valuable and enriching experience.
Complete the Application
There is no cost to attend the Residents Leadership Academy, however space is limited and interested participants must complete and return the application by Wednesday, September 18th at 10:00 a.m. For more information or for help completing the application, please contact Sady I. Diaz, Public Engagement Manager, at (954) 747-4662 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under our program guidelines, RLA participants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a Sunrise resident or business owner;
- Be interested in enhancing neighborhood advocacy and community leadership skills;
- Complete and submit the RLA application; and
- Attend 5 of 6 sessions to graduate
The RLA is comprised of five Wednesday-night sessions and one Saturday session. The schedule for the first-ever cohort are:
- Wednesday, October 9th from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 16th from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 23rd from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 30th from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 6th from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, November 9th from 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- and graduation from the program will be held at the City Commission meeting scheduled for Tuesday, November 12th at 5:00 p.m.
RLA Areas of Focus
Each session will have specific areas of focus including:
- City Commission, City Manager's Office, and City Clerk
- Police and Fire-Rescue
- Finance, Utilities, and Public Service
- Human Resources and Community Development
- Sustainability and Economic Development (including Redevelopment)
- Tour of Utilities and Leisure Services facilities