The City of Sunrise is committed to making every day Earth Day!
Good and Green is a program designed to inform and inspire our residents, businesses, schools and institutions to practice sustainability. We invite you to sign up for our Good and Green Newsletter today, so you will be included on our green contact list and useful news and information monthly about ways to conserve resources and practice stewardship.
Read the latest issue of the Good and Green newsletter.
Ways To Be Good & Green
SAVE WATER: Be a water champion!
- Sunrise Water Utility customers are eligible for FREE kitchen and bathroom faucet aerators and shower heads. How about a $100 rebate for replacing your older toilets? For info call 954-888-6023 or visit conservationpays.com.
- Did you know landscaping accounts for about 40% of water use here in South Florida? Consider making your landscape a Naturescape.
- Conserve energy by switching your old light bulbs to LED bulbs, and starting EnergyWise habits.
- Evaluate your energy usage and find ways to save by using FPL’s Energy Dashboard.
- Residences and businesses can complete a FREE Online Energy Survey and can schedule an on-site evaluation!
- You can also reduce peak energy demand and get paid, contact FPL’s On Call program.
- Income eligible households may be eligible for weatherization home improvements, call 877-212-0309 for more information.
- Did you know that aggressive driving is expensive? Save on gas by driving smoothly, avoid idling, and keeping your tires properly inflated.
- PACE Broward is a financing option for energy efficiency and conservation property improvements available to homeowners and businesses.
REDUCE WASTE: Reduce, reuse, and then recycle!
- Reduce waste by refusing single-use plastics like plastic bags, straws, cups, and utensils. Pledge to Pass Up Plastics with the City of Sunrise.
- Reduce waste by reclaiming your mailbox. Stop Junk Mail: 7 Ways to Reduce Waste
- Reuse instead of throwing away, like reusing shopping bags and water bottles. Donate usable goods like clothing, toys and furniture.
- Recycle Right by placing plastic bottles, paper, cardboard, metal cans and aluminum cans in your blue bin. DO NOT PUT PLASTIC BAGS in your recycling bins. Review the full list of acceptable and unacceptable materials, or if you have questions call 954-577-1135.
- Safely dispose of your household hazardous waste and electric waste at one of our collection 2019 Household Hazardous Waste Events!
Support our Economy
- Shop Sunrise, Source and Hire Locally.
- Buy Green: Look for the environmentally friendly option (e.g., EnergySTAR certified, or WaterSense certified products) when shopping or buying business supplies.
- Get Involved: There are a number of great organizations including the Greater Sunrise Chamber of Commerce that can help your business.
- Be a butterfly hero! Did you know Sunrise is a certified Community Wildlife Habitat through the National Wildlife Federation? Help the City maintain the certification by certifying your property.
- Adopt a Street: Your group or business are invited to demonstrate your commitment to a clean and beautiful Sunrise!
- Be a Good and Green Ambassador and bring useful information to your neighbors, work place or school. Students can receive service hours! Join the Sunrise Citizen Volunteer Corps!
- The City of Sunrise has a Sustainability Advisory Board that meets on the second Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. These meetings are open to the public, your input is welcome!