In an effort to recognize the accomplishments of our residents and provide financial assistance to graduating high school students, the City of Sunrise has created the Outstanding Citizenship Scholarship Program. The concept of "citizenship" relates to the expected qualities of a responsible member of a community.
This program is open to graduating public high school seniors who are residents of the City of Sunrise, have demonstrated commitment to our community, and meet the program’s income guidelines.
Through the Outstanding Citizenship Scholarship Program, the City of Sunrise makes available two (2), two-year scholarships (60-credit hours) for graduating high school seniors to attend most Florida colleges. All eligible students, whether of average or high-achieving academic status, are encouraged to apply for these scholarships.
To qualify in 2020, a student must:
- Be a 2020-graduating senior from a public high school.
- Reside within the city limits of the City of Sunrise.
- Be a Florida resident and United States citizen or a resident alien at the time of selection and award.
- Be income-eligible for the Broward County Public Schools Free/Reduced-price Meals Program.
- Have completed and returned the 11th Grade Pre-intent Letter to your BRACE Advisor.
- Demonstrate outstanding citizenship through volunteer work.
To apply, an eligible student must complete and submit to the appropriate agencies:
- A 2020 Broward Education Foundation (BEF) Scholarship Application
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
In addition, an eligible student must complete and submit to the City of Sunrise via email (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- The 2020 City of Sunrise Outstanding Citizenship Scholarship Information Form [PDF]
- A copy of the essay submitted with the 2020 Broward Education Foundation (BEF) Scholarship Application
- A copy of each college/university letter of acceptance.
- At least one (1) letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor, employer, or community leader.
Remember, all applications and supplemental materials must be submitted no later than March 15, 2020. There are SIX components to a complete application: the Broward Education Foundation Scholarship Application (submitted to BEF); the FAFSA (submitted to the Federal Government); and the City of Sunrise Outstanding Citizenship Scholarship Information Form, a copy of the BEF Scholarship Application essay, letters of acceptance from colleges/universities, AND at least one letter of recommendation (these last four items emailed to email@example.com).
Do you have questions about the City of Sunrise Outstanding Citizenship Scholarship application process? Please call (954) 747-4631.