Join the CITIZEN VOLUNTEER CORPS today!
The Citizen Volunteer Corps program is designed to inspire community engagement by encouraging residents to get involved in the nuts and bolts of local government through volunteering their time and talents in various city departments. This program seeks to create an innovative partnership between the City and the citizens we serve, by providing volunteers the opportunity to directly impact programs and services that our residents count on every day.
|Who joins the corps? A diverse range of dedicated people who may be:||They've discovered that volunteering is a great way to:|
So what are you waiting for?
Volunteers do not need to live within the City of Sunrise, but must be at least 15 years old and must complete an online application. Please access this link to submit an application:
Participants may be subject to background checks depending on where they will be placed. Citizen Volunteer Corps members are eligible to earn special recognition and awards from the City for their creditable volunteer service hours.
Browse the volunteer opportunities listed below. Complete the Citizen Volunteer application. If you do not see a volunteer position that interest you or matches your knowledge, skills and abilities, please complete it anyway and tell us where and how you feel you can best be of service in the City. We will work with you and our departments to find the right volunteer opportunity for you!
Citizen Volunteer Patrol (CVP)
- The Citizen Volunteer Corps program is designed to inspire community engagement by encouraging residents to get involved in local government through volunteering and represent an innovative partnership between the City and the citizens we serve.
- Supports the Sunrise Police Department by providing administrative assistance, greeting visitors, assisting at special events and resident neighborhood patrol.
Sunrise Police Explorer Program
- Under the leadership of the Sunrise Police Chief, the Police Explorer program provides a means through which young men and women, through real life experience receive exposure to various aspects of Law Enforcement.
- Participants get to explore if they would like to pursue a law enforcement career. The Police Explorer program focuses on community service and promotes citizen involvement. It also includes recreational activities and competitive events.
Sunrise Fire Rescue Explorer Program
- Among the longest volunteer programs, Sunrise Fire-Rescue has sponsored the Fire Explorer program for 40 years. The program is a career development opportunity for young men and women, ages 14 to 18, who are interested in pursuing a career in the fire service.
- At meetings throughout the school year, Fire Explorers are introduced to the basics of fire-rescue services, including basic life support skills such as CPR and first aid, firefighting techniques, hazardous material recognition and an introduction to advanced life support.
- Thanks to initial funding from The Community Foundation of Broward, this program engages boomer volunteers to assist our youth to improve their literacy skills and encourage the love of reading. Sunrise Reads invites people to join our mission of service as we address youth literacy. Volunteers visit partner elementary schools twice per month and participate in reading tutoring and book-related activities; assist with the City's Little Free Library program and/or help with administrative tasks related to the initiative.
- For more information regarding Sunrise Reads, view our service plan. To learn about volunteer opportunities, please call (954) 747-4600.
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- Under the leadership of the Fire Chief and team of Sunrise Bravest, the CERT volunteer program has spearheaded the Community Emergency Response Team.
- The CERT Program provides a critical and valuable service to the community by educating residents about disaster preparedness, hazard prevention, trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
- Assist with our Good & Green Community engagement initiatives, which invites everyone to join us in conserving resources, supporting a sustainable economy, and practicing stewardship.
Leisure Services Senior Center
- Volunteers lead recreational activities and classes such as Bingo, Dominoes, Line Dancing, Sewing, and various other clubs.
- Volunteers assist with the front desk and facilitating field trips. Senior volunteers are a true example of what it means to make a difference in the lives of others.
Leisure Services Programs Instructors
- Volunteers teach and support youth and/or senior recreational programs. Must have good customer service skills, be flexible & work well with the public.
Leisure Services Special Events
- Setting up, assisting with game booths, arts & crafts, greeting the community, handing out material, picking up trash, and clean up.
Leisure Services Theater Ushers
- Greeting patrons & answering questions during events. Must have good customer service skills, be flexible & work well with people.
Public Service Administration
- Provide general clerical support to designated departments. Volunteer services include customer support, public records, filing, data entry; answering phones and conducting surveys. Must be familiar with computers, scanners, MS Word & Excel. Volunteers may be assigned to various departments based on operational needs.